||[Jun. 2nd, 2004|11:33 am]
Did I put one word on paper on my writing evening last night? No.|
Have I done any house work in the last 2 days? No.
Have I done any Youth work in the last 2 days? Very little.
I have spent a ton of time working on a dance. I emailed Jauhura and asked if I could come to her class party and dance. She was really excited that I wanted to. Then I actually had to learn a dance for the party.
The dance is mostly a old class dance. The music Sahara by Hossam Ramsey is one of my favourite pieces. I had my old notes of the choreography, but since this was a dance from 3 or 4 years ago, I couldn't remember what of the shorthand actually meant. So, I've ended up re-working most of it.
I took out the moves that I couldn't remember what they were. I took out 1 or 2 things that I figured were not my best moves. And I've added some things that I enjoy. Zelia taught us a cool veil turn that I've incorporated in. Zelia also put more emphasis on hand positions than Jauhura did. One of the big differences between an intermediate/advanced student and a professional is often what she's doing with her hands while she dances. This is something I want to work on. So, I have incorporated more hand and arm movements in the first quarter before the veil comes off. I figure once the veil is off, you have to hold it, so that becomes a built-in reminder to do something with your hands. :)
I suppose what I've been doing in choreography. Although, it feels more like plagiarism because I'm not really inventing moves, just picking the order that I'm putting them in. I think this is just the writer in me working by analogy because all moves were taught to someone by someone else. It's not like Jauhura invented shoulder shimmies or Zelia invented figure 8's.
Anyway, I finished working it out last night. I have actually used up all of the song. This is a huge deal, because if you have to shorten a piece of music, you get into taping issues of cutting off just the right amount and fading it out nicely. Using the music intact is so much easier. I used up the entire song mostly because I lengthened things. (E.g. I looked at my old notes and thought "I can't do all that in 4 counts. I'm taking 8.) At the end, I ran out of good ideas, so I've just got some shimmying for about 42 beats (8x6), so I'll have to use different arm positions to make it look visually interesting. It's really time wasting fluff, but I also need some flexibility because the music has no verse/chorus or hooks to keep you on track. So, I can't with precision tell when the music is going to end, so I need some flexibility in the end in case I've miscalculated and have to fudge things.
After tomorrow, I could actually use a week or two away from this.